Courses for Qualified Military Pilots

Transition from a military pilot to a commercial pilot

Bristol Groundschool has helped thousands of military pilots transition from the service into the private sector.

The Part-FCL regulations state that in order to obtain commercial licences (with credits for experience) military pilots must apply to the Member State in which they served.

In other words, UK military pilots looking for exemptions must have their licence issued by the UK CAA, French military pilots looking for exemptions must have their licence issued by the French DGCA etc. Each State will have different levels of exemption for its own military, depending on what they have declared to EASA.

Some limited credits are available for UK Military pilots. The authoritative document is the UK CAA publication CAP 2254(MAAS). The information below is only a summary and necessarily omits much of the detail. Military pilots are urged to read the CAP carefully. We have summarised the regulations in flowcharts for fixed-wing and rotary-wing pilots.

It is important to read CAP2254(MAAS), using the link above, to understand both the flying credits and the theoretical knowledge credits available. You must apply to the CAA to register as a qualified military pilot (QMP) to gain these credits by completing forms SRG 2133 and CAA5014; there are links to the forms in CA2254 but the link to CAA5014 is broken and the form can be accessed here. Failure to submit the forms, which includes providing copies of qualifications and validation of flying hours and receiving a confirmation of your QMP status, may mean that you will be unable to book your final exams until the situation is resolved as the CAA will demand proof of training, including KSA.

CAA Part-FCL Military Accreditation (Aeroplane) Flowchart

CAA Part-FCL Military Accreditation (helicopter) Flowchart

FCL Bridging Chart

Credits are given to graduates of Elementary Flying Training (EFTGs), graduates of the Single Engine Rotary course (SERPs) and for military pilots that have progressed to the end of the flight training system and have been awarded their wings (Qualified Military Pilots, QMPs). Other specialist qualifications such as an operational category on multi-pilot aircraft attract further exemptions.

The CAA has said that if you are a qualified military pilot relying on exemptions, you will need to sit your examinations with the UK CAA, and you are also required to do your flight tests with an ATO that holds a UK CAA approval.


QMP (H) to ATPL (A) or QMP (A) to ATPL (H)

The current CAA ruling states that if you are a Fixed Wing Qualified Military Pilot (QMP) and you now want to become a Helicopter Commercial Pilot, unless you are a QMP(H) you must undertake an approved course and have a PPL already issued. If you need to check the QMP (wings granted status), please see CAP 2254.

The same applies for Helicopter QMPs wishing to bridge to a Fixed Wing Commercial Pilot.


Issue of a PPL or Light Aircraft PPL

EFTGs, SERPs and QMPs are exempt from any formal training requirement but need to pass all the exams and skills test and satisfy any other normal requirements for PPL issue, helicopter or fixed wing, as appropriate.


Enhanced Learning Credits

Our ATPL(A) & ATPL(H)/IR courses are eligible for Enhanced Learning Credits and we are an approved training provider. UK Military Personnel with ELCAS must apply initially through their education centre, our provider code is 1030. If you are entitled to Enhanced Learning Credits and you would like to enquire about one of our courses, please complete our ELCAS enquiry form and we will be in touch soon.

BGS refund requests

For details please see our Terms and Conditions.


For more information on the flying required for ATPL conversions, please visit UK Flying